As each week goes by I often find myself stumbling across various news, social media posts, blogs, articles, books, and more in relation to the paranormal. Often some of these pass me by never to be seen again, which can be a shame as when I see them I know that I want to read more on them. However, it can often be the wrong time, there are other more pressing things to take care of. As we are often bombarded by lots of this such information on a daily basis, a lot is lost in the digital ether.
So, what I wanted to do with this regular post is attempt to gather some various pieces of information that others like me may be interested to read. I’ve broken this down into a few categories below for now, hopefully you’ll like it – would love to hear your thoughts on the matter?
Afghanistan’s Haunted Outpost & The Latest Myers Memorial Medal Recipient
This week the news covered some real-life ghostbusters, a return to the Sauchie Poltergeist case a chat with Medium James Hyslop.
- An Ancient Hill and Forgotten Dead: Afghanistan’s Haunted Outpost – The New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/31/world/asia/afghanistan-haunted-outpost.html
- The latest Myers Memorial Medal recipient | spr.ac.uk https://www.spr.ac.uk/news/latest-myers-memorial-medal-recipient
Here is a few of the items that caught my eye this week on social media.
- NY TIMES REVISES JAMES RANDI OBIT—I provided published evidence to The New York Times including a 1973 Letter to the Editor by Randi (below) & the paper removed the following line from its online obituary: “It would be the last time a jail cell could hold him” @SPR1882 @GSoW_team https://twitter.com/james_a_conrad/status/1324353801281773580?s=12
- Happy birthday to our founder, Rev. William Stainton Moses, born 5 November 1839. If it wasn’t for this eminent Victorian spiritualist, The College of Psychic Studies may not be here today. Thank you, sir. historical #Victorian #HappyBirthday #grateful https://twitter.com/psychic_studies/status/1324369613434589184
- s=12online.fliphtml5.com/lglzz/qgnd/ Harper Magazine – ‘Four Months in a Haunted House’ https://twitter.com/macqdor/status/1324525980606623744?s=12
- For those looking for some reading whilst locked down check out the Guidance Notes for Investigators published by @SPR1882 . The Kindle edition is only £6.99. Kindle editions of Ghostology and Paracoustics are also just £5.99 and £6.99 – smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08… https://twitter.com/parascience/status/1324663720862195713?s=12
- Bereavement, grief and afterlife communication: research project: https://twitter.com/spr1882/status/1324799975713374208?s=12
- Spiritualist Hudson Tuttle (October 4, 1836 – December 15, 1910) invented the “Psychograph” spirit communication device. It was first offered to the public in the early 1880s and included a circular dial which consisted of the alphabet, numbers, and phrases. #Paranormal #History https://twitter.com/worldwidepra/status/1325017551248781312?s=12
- Join the William James Society today at wjsociety.org/membership! Your support will help the society promote scholarship on the life and work of William James, and run our peer-reviewed journal, William James Studies. https://twitter.com/williamjamessoc/status/1316767214792519681?s=12
- Found this review for the LLIFS Guide to EVP. Thankyou! I have found a few new followers to the blog thanks to the book so it is nice to know that people don’t hate it LOL (always a concern). amazon.com/LLIFS-Guide-EV… https://twitter.com/sarahllifs/status/1325036624623726592?s=12
- SPR/Ghost Club Ghosthunting Workshop – 5 John Fraser – YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0Q-sFpCWU
This section is somewhere I would like to share a few of the events, investigations, conventions and more that may interest you all. However, due to our current lockdown situation – I have now included online events.
- Don’t forget to join Jayne on Monday night as I investigate the Ancient Ram Inn…ALONE! 👀Watch LIVE on FB and show some moral support! 🙏🏻😱🙏🏻 Click “Going’ to be notified when the live starts ⬇ facebook.com/events/3531966… https://twitter.com/hdghost_girl/status/1325127478621265921?s=12
I often spend a lot of my time reading paranormal related blogs, books and articles. So, I figured this would be great to share with you all too. Blogs and online articles are often a great way to discover more on the paranormal and even challenge your own perception of some concepts. There will also likely be items from published journals and magazines too in the future – which of course will be limited to those with memberships to those organisations.
- Beer, Wine, and Spirits: Reflections on Intoxicants and Ghosts – Intoxicating Spaces https://www.intoxicatingspaces.org/2020/10/31/beer-wine-and-spirits-reflections-on-intoxicants-and-ghosts/
- Triablogue: Further Problems With Anita Gregory’s Doctoral Thesis On Enfield http://triablogue.blogspot.com/2020/11/further-problems-with-anita-gregorys.html
- The Haunting of Ballechin House – October 2020 | Special Collections https://blogs.ncl.ac.uk/speccoll/2020/10/30/the-haunting-of-ballechin-house-october-2020/
- LLIFS – The problem with pareidolia | livinglifeinfullspectrum.com.au https://llifs.com.au/blog/the-problem-with-pareidolia/
- Spirits, Gods and Magic: An Introduction to the Anthropology of the Supernatural (2nd Ed.), by Jack Hunter | spr.ac.uk https://www.spr.ac.uk/book-review/spirits-gods-and-magic-introduction-anthropology-supernatural-2nd-ed-jack-hunter
- JOTT. When Things Disappear… and Come Back or Relocate – and Why It Really Happens, by Mary Rose Barrington | spr.ac.uk https://www.spr.ac.uk/book-review/jott-when-things-disappear-and-come-back-or-relocate-and-why-it-really-happens-mary-rose
- MAGONIA REVIEW: SPIRIT LEVELS https://pelicanist.blogspot.com/2020/11/spirit-levels.html
- A Natural History of Ghosts – a review – Horrified Magazine – The British Horror Website https://www.horrifiedmagazine.co.uk/reviews/a-natural-history-of-ghosts-a-review/
- Lucy Lethbridge – The Woolworths Poltergeist | Literary Review | Issue 490 https://literaryreview.co.uk/the-woolworths-poltergeist
- History and heritage: medium James Hyslop – Montclair Local News https://www.montclairlocal.news/2020/10/31/james-hyslop-montclair-medium-halloween/
- The Trickster and the Paranormal with George Hansen: Redux – Nov 1, 2020 http://www.wheredidtheroadgo.com/show-archive/2020/item/688-the-trickster-and-the-paranormal-with-george-hanson-redux-nov-1-2020
- Division of Perceptual Studies | Psi Encyclopedia https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/division-perceptual-studies Getting High and Doing Psi: Research on Hallucinogens and Psychic Ability, Part 1 | by Monad Mantis | Remote Viewing Community Magazine | Oct, 2020 | Medium https://medium.com/remote-viewing-community-magazine/getting-high-and-doing-psi-research-on-hallucinogens-and-psychic-ability-part-1-83e6c206023e
- Sociological Research on Remarkable Experiences with Dr. Jim McClenon #94 – Shattered Reality Podcast http://atlanticcoastufos.com/shatteredrealitypodcast.com/sociological-research-on-remarkable-experiences-with-dr-jim-mcclenon-94/
- The PA Funds a Systematic Study of Shamanic Weather Control https://mailchi.mp/parapsych/2020-pa-research-endowment-grant-awarded-2455634
Although generally the idea of this post was to share some of what catches my eye in the paranormal field week to week. I thought it would be good to capture some of this stuff in one place. Makes it easier to find right?
However, there’s always going to be stuff I miss, so please feel free to send me items and I may include them too. It’s a good way to share a lot of what’s happening out there in the paranormal world.